This article does not have all the current information from the latest books. Please help fill in any missing biography.
Sanctuaries are the organizations that enforce the magical laws. All Sanctuaries have a Council of Elders that lead the Sanctuary, and the Council is in turn lead by a Grand Mage. Sanctuaries were seen by some as a "magical police".
Before the Sanctuaries existed, there were magical communities. Each of these was ruled by twelve village elders. Each of these twelve would oversee a different aspect of village life, but, when the time came to make important decisions, all twelve votes were counted equally. When the Sanctuaries were established twelve were cut down to three.
Although the Sanctuaries have worked together before, there has been a lot of rivalry, particularly against Ireland, as it is seen as a Cradle of Magic. Although the Sanctuaries (such as the American Sanctuary) claimed it was due to the danger posed by a Cradle of Magic in distress, some speculated it was due to their power-hungry nature that the wanted to take over Ireland.
In Dark Days, the Irish Sanctury was destroyed by the Desolation Engine (which was restored by a Remnant-possed Kenspeckle Grouse). In Mortal Coil, following a Council re-election, the Sanctuary was relocated to Roarhaven. This was later revealed to be part of the Man with Golden Eyes's master plan.
- While Thurid Guild was the Grand Mage of the Irish Sanctuary, he has had many meetings with the Russian Sanctuary.
- In Mortal Coil, Ireland was tipped of by a source in the German Sanctuary that the American Santaury were planning to take over Ireland.
- The American Santuary has on many occasions threatened to take over Ireland if bad things continue continue to happen there.
- Davina Marr transferred from Prime Detective in the American Sanctuary and joined the Irish Sanctuary.
- Since there is a Sanctuary for every major country in the world, it means there is also a Canadian Sanctuary, a Japanese Sanctuary, and others. These other Sanctuaries have not been seen in the books yet, but have been mentioned.
- In Last Stand Of Dead Men, almost every Sanctuary in the world formed a Supreme Council and invaded Ireland.
- The Irish Sanctuary
- The British Sanctuary
- The American Sanctuary
- The Italian Sanctuary
- The Russian Sanctuary
- The German Sanctuary
- The French Sanctuary
- The Australian Sanctuary
- The African Sanctuary
- The Estonian Sanctuary
- The Syrian Sanctuary
- The Mexican Sanctuary
- The Venezuelan Sanctuary
- The Romanian Sanctuary
- The Japanese Sanctuary
- The Spanish Sanctuary
- The Scottish Sanctuary
- The Icelandic Sanctuary
- China Sorrows - Grand Mage
- Erskine Ravel - Grand Mage (imprisoned)
- Corrival Deuce - Grand Mage (deceased)
- Thurid Guild - Grand Mage (imprisoned)
- Eachan Meritorious - Grand Mage (deceased)
- Madame Mist - Elder (deceased)
- Ghastly Bespoke - Elder (deceased)
- Mr. Bliss - Elder (deceased)
- Sagacious Tome - Elder (deceased)
- Morwenna Crow - Elder (deceased)
- Tipstaff - current
- Unnamed Female - former (deceased)
- Unnamed Male - former (deceased)
- Flint (imprisoned)
- Palaver Graves - Grand Mage
- Quintin Strom - Grand Mage (deceased)
- Cothernus Ode - Grand Mage (deceased)
- Illori Reticent - Elder (deceased)
- Merriwyn Hyphenate-Bash
The American Sanctuary
- Bernard Sult - former (deceased)
The German Sanctuary
- Johann Starke- Elder
- Dedrich Wahrheit - Grand Mage (deceased)
- Wilhelm Scream - former
The Australian Sanctuary
- Karrik- Grand Mage (deceased)
The Estonian Sanctaury
- Kribu - Grand Mage
The Japanese Sanctaury
- Kumo - Grand Mage
The African Sanctaury
- Ubuntu - Grand Mage (deceased)